Gluten is bad.
Most of you know this. In a nut shell, gluten contains an antinutrient that kills off the microvilli in your intestines. You need these microvilli, as they are covered with enzymes that help digest food and transport nutrients to the blood stream. When the microvilli are killed off by gluten you end up with something called Celiacs disease which makes it impossible to absorb fats, minerals, and many vitamins. There’s good chance you know someone who has this particularly bad intolerance to gluten.
Even if you don’t have full blown Celiacs disease, gluten causes pretty bad gut damage that leads to “leaky gut syndrome.” Large food particles make their way into the blood stream and once they are there they are attacked by antibodies, essentially manifesting as all sorts of autoimmune diseases. There have even been links to schizophrenia and congestive heart failure, autism, and a whole array of other things.
*This information was taken from Robb Wolf’s nutrition seminar. You can check out his site for tons of nutritional info at www.robbwolf.com.
This is becoming common knowledge here at CF West and many have adopted the Paleo lifestyle. With the change has come amazing results in energy levels, performance, and recovery. Not to mention, everyone looks great. But still, there are many foods out there with hidden ingredients in them that may contain gluten that you didn’t even think of. I took the following list from Celiac.com. Check it out. You might be surprised.
Abyssinian Hard (Wheat triticum durum)
Alcohol (Spirits – Specific Types)
Amp-Isostearoyl Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein
Barley Grass (can contain seeds)
Barley Hordeum vulgare
Beer (most contain barley or wheat)
Bulgur (Bulgar Wheat/Nuts)
Club Wheat (Triticum aestivum subspecies compactum)
Common Wheat (Triticum aestivum)
Cookie Dough Pieces
Disodium Wheatgermamido Peg-2 Sulfosuccinate
Durum wheat (Triticum durum)
Einkorn (Triticum monococcum)
Emmer (Triticum dicoccon)
Enriched Bleached Flour
Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour
Flour (normally this is wheat)
Fu (dried wheat gluten)
Groats (barley, wheat)
Hordeum Vulgare Extract
Hydrolyzed Wheat Gluten
Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein
Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein Pg-Propyl Silanetriol
Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch
Hydroxypropyltrimonium Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein
Kamut (Pasta wheat)
Kecap Manis (Soy Sauce)
Ketjap Manis (Soy Sauce)
Maida (Indian wheat flour)
Malted Barley Flour
Macha Wheat (Triticum aestivum)
Oriental Wheat (Triticum turanicum)
Persian Wheat (Triticum carthlicum)
Poulard Wheat (Triticum turgidum)
Polish Wheat (Triticum polonicum)
Rice Malt (if barley or Koji are used)
Shot Wheat (Triticum aestivum)
Spirits (Specific Types)
Spelt (Triticum spelta)
Sprouted Wheat or Barley
Stearyldimoniumhydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein
Suet in Packets
Timopheevi Wheat (Triticum timopheevii)
Triticale X triticosecale
Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Flour Lipids
Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Extract
Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil
Udon (wheat noodles)
Vavilovi Wheat (Triticum aestivum)
Vital Wheat Gluten
Wheat, Abyssinian Hard triticum durum
Wheat amino acids
Wheat Bran Extract
Wheat Durum Triticum
Wheat Germ Extract
Wheat Germ Glycerides
Wheat Germ Oil
Wheat Germamidopropyldimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein
Wheat Grass (can contain seeds)
Wheat Triticum aestivum
Wheat Triticum Monococcum
Wheat (Triticum Vulgare) Bran Extract
Wild Einkorn (Triticum boeotictim)
Wild Emmer (Triticum dicoccoides)
The following items may or may not contain gluten depending on where and how they are made, and it is sometimes necessary to check with the manufacturer to find out:
Caramel Color1, 3
Caramel Flavoring1, 3
Dry Roasted Nuts4
Food Starch1, 4
Food Starch Modified1, 4
Hydrolyzed Plant Protein4
Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein4
Hydrogenated Starch Hydrolysate4
Modified Food Starch1, 4
Modified Starch1, 4
Mono and Diglycerides1, 4
Soy Sauce Solids4
• 1) If this ingredient is made in North America it is likely to be gluten-free.
• 3) The problem with caramel color is it may or may not contain gluten depending on how it is manufactured. In the USA caramel color must conform with the FDA standard of identity from 21CFR CH.1. This statute says: the color additive caramel is the dark-brown liquid or solid material resulting from the carefully controlled heat treatment of the following food-grade carbohydrates: Dextrose (corn sugar), invert sugar, lactose (milk sugar), malt syrup (usually from barley malt), molasses (from cane), starch hydrolysates and fractions thereof (can include wheat), sucrose (cane or beet). Also, acids, alkalis and salts are listed as additives which may be employed to assist the caramelization process.
• 4) Can utilize a gluten-containing grain or by-product in the manufacturing process, or as an ingredient.
• 5) Most celiac organizations in the USA and Canada do not believe that wheat starch is safe for celiacs. In Europe, however, Codex Alimentarius Quality wheat starch is considered acceptable in the celiac diet by most doctors and celiac organizations. This is a higher quality of wheat starch than is generally available in the USA or Canada.
• 6) According to 21 C.F.R. S 101,22(a)(3): [t]he terns natural flavor or natural flavoring means the essential oil, oleoresin, essence or extractive, protein hydrolysate, distillate, or any product of roasting, heating or enzymolysis, which contains the flavoring constituents derived from a spice, fruit or fruit juice, vegetable or vegetable juice, edible yeast, herb, bark, bud, root, leaf or similar plant material, meat, seafood, poultry, eggs, dairy products, or fermentation products thereof. Whose significant function in food is flavoring rather than nutritional.
• 7) Dextrin is an incompletely hydrolyzed starch. It is prepared by dry heating corn, waxy maize, waxy milo, potato, arrowroot, WHEAT, rice, tapioca, or sago starches, or by dry heating the starches after: (1) Treatment with safe and suitable alkalis, acids, or pH control agents and (2) drying the acid or alkali treated starch. (1) Therefore, unless you know the source, you must avoid dextrin.
5 Snatch Balance (135/95)
30yrd Sled Sprint
30yrd Sled Drag