By Britt Birchall
What should you take away from this series on the shoulder girdle?
- Healthy shoulders girdles are vital to your shoulder health and all things CrossFit.
- Your posture and position are vital to develop healthy shoulders when: strict pressing, push jerking, split jerking, overhead squatting, back squatting, front squatting, and doing handstand push-ups, pull-ups, etc.
- How can we develop healthy shoulders? Develop posture and position in the shoulder girdle by developing the musculature surrounding the joint through strict pull-ups….not chin over the bar pull-ups, but strict pull-ups that maintain a neutral spinal position, eyes focused ahead, shoulders retracted.
- Why do pull-ups this way? It develops that rhomboids and lower traps that allow for a stronger core when again…doing all things CrossFit: strict pressing, push jerking, split jerking, overhead squatting, back squatting, front squatting, doing handstand push-ups, etc.
- Should I be aware of my shoulder posture when I’m lifting? Yes. Again, a healthier shoulder girldle = stronger core stability = stronger lifts.
- Developing posture and position in the shoulder girdle while doing all things CrossFit can increase your overall core stability and strength, while reducing the rate of shoulder injuries.